It is located on the western coast of the Istrian peninsula and is a popular tourist resort and an active fishing port. Rovinj lies on the indented coast with numerous coves and smaller islands. Istriot, a Romance language once widely spoken in this part of Istria, is still spoken by part of the residents (also called Rovignese by those who speak it here). The area of Rovinj - Croatia borders with communes of Bale, Kanfanar, St Lovrec and Vrsar. In Rovinj Archipelago there are 22 islets among which St Andrew and St Catherina are the biggest and the most beautiful. The steep buuildings of the old city, which almost from sea level climb towards the top of the hill. The long horizontal of the paris church partially softened by the greenery of the trees, dominates the high hill. The bell tower of Sv. Euphemija, with the saint up above holding a helm and welcoming the boats arriving in the port, is an unmistakeable example of seventeenth-century Venetian style. Once you arrive in Rovinj, the destination of “royal tourism” of Central- Europe in the early 1900s, one can stay in the castle on the evocative little island of Sv. Andrija, where princess Mary of Saxe Coburg-Gotha, Stephanie of Hapsburg, and Maria Theresa of Bavaria were often the guests of Baron Hütterott. Rovinj was already a settlement of Illyrian tribes before being captured by the Romans, who called it Arupinium or Mons Rubineus, and later Ruginium and Ruvinium. Built on an island close to the coast, it was connected with the mainland in 1763 by filling in the channel.

It became part of the Byzantine empire, then in the sixth century part of the Exarchate of Ravenna and in 788 part of the Frankish empire. Then it came under the rule of different feudal lords during several centuries. From 1209 it was ruled by the Aquilean patriarch.

It was from 1283 to 1797 one of the most important towns of Istria under the Republic of Venice. The city was fortified by two rows of walls with three town gates. The remaining town walls date from this period. Close to the pier one can find the old town gate Balbi's Arch, dating from 1680, and a late-Renaissance clock tower. The city got its statutes in 1531.